Host Magufuli met veteran East African Museveni yesterday
AND Kagame today.
TODAY: Presidents from Uganda, Kenya, Tanzania, Rwanda, Burundi and South Sudan attended the 17th EAC Heads of State Summit in Arusha, Tanzania
The summit admitted South Sudan as a member of the EAC. The summit theme was - EAC: Advancing market-driven integration.
Top on the agenda of the summit was consideration of reports by the EAC Council of Ministers on: the negotiations on the admission of the Republic of South Sudan into the Community; Sustainable Financing Mechanisms for the EAC, and; the EAC Institutional Review.
The e-Passport was launched as well as a one-stop border centre.
JOINT COMMUNIQUÉ: 17TH ORDINARY SUMMIT OF THE EAST AFRICAN COMMUNITY HEADS OF STATE
WATCH VIDEO OF SUMMIT BELOW (via @jumuiya)
KEY FACTS via +State House Uganda
About the #EastAfricanCommunity (#EAC)..
* Is an intergovernmental organisation composed of five countries in the African Great Lakes region in eastern Africa: Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania, and Uganda. South Sudan and Somalia have applied to join.
* First established 1967; Dissolved 1977; Re-established 7 July 2000.
* Current Chairman: President John Magufuli of Tanzania
* Secretary-General: Amb. Dr Richard Sezibera
* Main Organs: East African Community Secretariat, East AFrica Legislative Assembly, East African Court of Justice
* Area (incl. water): 1.82 million sq. km
* Population: 145.5 million (2015)
* GDP (PPP): US$ 147.5 billion (2015)
* EAC Headquarters: Arusha, Tanzania
* Motto: "One People One Destiny"
* Official languages: Swahili, English
* Website: www.eac.int; www.eac.int/sectors
* Projects/Plans: East African Railway; East AFrican Passport; Political Federation; Monetary Union (East African Shilling, etc